Tourism mine

The Josef Mine can be visited through the balconies carved in salt and it is located next to the Franz Josef Gallery. This mine is a conical chamber of 112 meters deep with 67 meters at the base. A description of this mine from 1853 reads: “… mine where you first dropped in a basket, the ropes may have a depth of 50 fathoms. It has a perfectly shaped loaf belonging, which the mouth is lined up at a timber below begins to open and keeps expanding until the bell, leave the salt flat plate with a diameter of about 30 fathoms ….” (Hetilap, 1853, p. 275)
Because its shape and lack of communications with the other major mining points this mine has a powerful sound echo reason why it is also called “Echoes Room”.

Mi

The octagonal room hosts a winch called “crivac” or “gepel”. The “Crivac” was exploited by horse power and served for the vertical transport of the salt from the Rudolf mine. On the crivac is marked the date that it was built in-1881. This machine replaced another, smaller size crivac, what was installed in 1864. It is the only machine of its kind in Romania and probably Europe. It is unique because it is in its original shape and location.

Sc

This room hosts a mining shaft through which the salt from the Rudolf Mine was transported vertically. The pulley tower shaft was mounted in 1864.The pulleys have a diameter of 3 m and are functioning even today.

Sp2 Sp1

In a niche carved into the salt in the eastern wall of the hall call, is the altar, place of worship of salt cutters and place reviving hope and faith for better  times.

altar altarul

The staircase of  rich people lying in the middle of the room,  was located in the gateway to the mines  Rudolf and Theresa before the completion of the transport gallery. Painstakingly cut parallel streaks on the walls of salt cutters hammers exhausting labor testify strangers who have labored here over the centuries.

scara bogatilor

The Rudolf Mine is 42 meters deep, 50 meters wide and 80 meters long. The Rudolf Mine is the last mine from Turda where salt was exploited from. 172 steps lead to the heart of this magnificient Mine. Heading to the heart of the mine, on the walls is carved  the year in which the salt was exploited.
On the N-W side of the sealing salt stalactites can be admired that formed through the years. They grow about 2 cm / year and when they reach the length of about 3 meters, due to their own weight, they break.The panoramic lift offers turists a whole picture of the Rudolf Mine.

R1 R2 R3

It is a cone shaped mine ( mini bell). The exploition of salt from this type of chamber leaves the underworld with an impressive view. This mine is 120 meters deep. The salt cascade, the underground lake and a bloom of salt stalatites help in the decoration of this huge underground bell.
The underground lake is between 0.5 and 8 m deep. In the center of the lake there is a 5 m high island, what is composed of salt waste dumped in here since 1880, date when mining was stopped in this room.

T1 Salina Turda T3

This mine is 108 m deep and the salt extraction was discontinued  in this room in 1862 due to the fact that the salt had a high level of clay. It is an isolated room with no connections to the other galleries from the Salt Mine from Turda.

This area is a geological reservation. Tourists have no access to this room. It is situated 15 m above the transport gallery (Franz Joseph Gallery). The water infiltrations formed salt crystals and stalactites. In the lake from the bottom of the mine amazing salt crystals can be admired. This is the reason why on touristic language this room is called “The room of crystals”.

P1

The Gizela Mine and the technical rooms, adjacent to her, are similar to the Rudolf Mine, but much smaller because the salt exploration stopped shortly after the opening of this mine. Currently this mine is equipped as a spa treatment room with natural aerosols.

S1 S2

TOP