Because its shape and lack of communications with the other major mining points this mine has a powerful sound echo reason why it is also called “Echoes Room”.
This chamber contains the shaft through which the salt blocks were brought from Rudolf mine up to the gallery’s level. The pulley system was installed in 1864 at the top end of the shaft. With each pulley measuring a diameter of 3 m, the system is considered to be still in functioning condition. In addition, this chamber hosts a functioning replica of the extraction machinery on a 1:20 scale. The reconstruction reenacts the whole procedure of salt extraction and it was built with the purpose of offering the tourists a clearer depiction of the way the extraction machinery used to function. The construction ensemble and mining equipment consisting of the extraction machinery, extraction shafts, the rope directing channels and the different galleries used to condition the salt transportation between Rudolf mine and Franz Joseph gallery’s level. The main element is the horse powered extraction machinery. Reconstruction on a 1:20 scale.
On the N-W side of the sealing salt stalactites can be admired that formed through the years. They grow about 2 cm / year and when they reach the length of about 3 meters, due to their own weight, they break.The panoramic lift offers turists a whole picture of the Rudolf Mine.
The underground lake is between 0.5 and 8 m deep. In the center of the lake there is a 5 m high island, what is composed of salt waste dumped in here since 1880, date when mining was stopped in this room.
This mine is 108 m deep and the salt extraction was discontinued in this room in 1862 due to the fact that the salt had a high level of clay. It is an isolated room with no connections to the other galleries from the Salt Mine from Turda.